Patron Behavior Policy
To ensure that all people who use and work at the Middleborough Public Library (the Library) can do so in a comfortable and safe environment, the Library reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine what it considers to be disruptive or inappropriate behavior by its patrons. In order to ensure that every patron has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of the Library, patrons visiting or using the Library's facilities or services must comply with the Library's policy entitled, Behavior in the Library - Patrons while on the Library's premises.
Dangerous, destructive, inappropriate, offensive or illegal conduct, including but not limited to the following, will not be tolerated:
- Physical abuse or assault, including fighting or challenging others to fight;
- Engaging in intimidating or harassing behaviors, including following or stalking other patrons or Library staff, staring fixedly or leering at others, or attempting to peer under another patron's or staff member's clothing;
- Making violent or threatening statements to others
- Damaging, destroying, stealing, or otherwise vandalizing Library property.
- Using harassing, obscene, abusive, or insulting language or gestures.
- Annoying other patrons by talking, gesturing, or otherwise interfering with their ability to read, study, contemplate, or otherwise use the Library.
- Interfering with Library staff's performance of their duties.
- Entering the Library with animals other than service animals authorized by law.
- Entering the Library with bicycles, shopping carts, or other bulky items excluding items necessary to assist individuals with disabilities.
- Using roller skates, scooters, skateboards, or other similar devices on Library property.
- Smoking anywhere on Library property
- Possessing, consuming, exchanging, selling, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Lying on the floor or sleeping.
- Using the public restrooms in any manner that is not usual or customary, including laundering or bathing.
- Failing to wear appropriate clothing while in the Library, including but not limited to a shirt, top, pants, skirt, or shoes.
- Making loud or unreasonable noise, including but not limited to the use of electronic equipment or mobile telephones at a volume that disturbs others. Ringer volumes must be set to silent or vibrate.
- Carrying weapons of any type.
- Refusal to follow reasonable direction from Library staff, including but not limited to leaving the Library during normal closing procedures or following a suspension of Library privileges, or refusing to evacuate during an emergency.
Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable manner. Library staff will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the Library's established rules, regulations, and policies could result in removal from the premises and expulsion from the Library for a period of one day to one year, or in arrest or prosecution.
Violations could also result in the restriction and/or termination of Library privileges, including the use of Library computers and other equipment. Expulsion for more than one week may be appealed in writing to the Director.
Please inform Library staff if you observe anyone behaving in a suspicious or inappropriate manner. Thank you.