Welcome to the Children's Page!
For more information on the following programs and events please open the calendar at right or click on the heading for the program you're interested in. You may also contact the Library at 508.946.2470 and ask for the Children's Room.
Special Programs for May
- Staying Safe Around Electricity Artwork Challenge
- Tuesday May 5, 2015, 4:00pm (Large Meeting Room)
- The Middleborough Gas & Electric Department is conducting a graphics challenge for children in grades 3 through 6. A representative from MGED will be at the library to kick off the challenge. Two lucky winners will win a tablet. Come and learn all about it. Miss Amanda will have supplies on hand for those who would like to get started right away!
- Discovery Workshops with Ms. Gina
- Thursday, May 21, 2015, 2pm - 3pm (Large Meeting Room)
- This month's workshop explores the History of Chocolate. Every one loves to eat chocolate, but do you know where it came from or that ancient people used cocoa beans as a form of currency? Come and discover how cocoa was used in times past and sample different kinds of chocolate. Then pick your favorite!
- Registration IS Required for this Free Program. Please Register Online or see the Calendar for more details.
- This is an Early Release Thursday
Tuesdays, 4pm - 5pm
It's a block party every Tuesday afternoon! LEGO building bricks and DUPLOs are available for kids of all ages to build with and have fun. A different challenge is presented each time. Builders informally share their creations at the end of the session. Children younger than 6 must have a caregiver in the room but older kids may build independently while parents are nearby.
Family Fun Night
Tuesday Evenings, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
Fun for the whole family. Check the detailed schedule for the evening's events which could include a movie, game night challenge, stories, art projects, science experiments, and more. Each week we will explore a new theme.
- May Theme: Join Us for a Book Tasting
- May 5: Cinco de Mayo and Children's Book Week
- May 12: Eat Around the World
- May 19: Homegrown: Special visit from the Freedom Farm of Raynham, MA
- May 26: Stir it Up: Game Night
Wednesdays @ 10:30am - 11:30am
Join us for a preschool storytime best for 3-6 year olds. Older and younger siblings are welcome. Explore a different theme each week through books, songs, art projects, games, science experiments and more. After the 30 minute formal program, enjoy time to socialize and have a snack in the room.
- May Theme: Join Us for a Book Tasting
- May 6: Children's Book Week - Fancy Nancy Tea Party
- May 13: Around the World - What's Cooking?
- May 20: Homegrown
- May 27: Stir it Up!
Mother Goose on the Loose
Thursdays, 10:15am - 11:00am
Birth - 18 months
Mother Goose on the Loose is a lap sit, rhyme-filled program promoting early literacy in children from birth through 18 months. Older siblings are welcome. Children participate with accompanying grown-ups learning rhymes, songs and hearing stories. The program is followed by playtime allowing children and adults to interact with each other and the toys provided by the library.
This program is free with no advance sign-up required. Program begins promptly at 10:15 am and concludes in 20 minutes. After that families stay in the room to talk and play until 11am!
Wiggles and Giggles
Thursdays, 11:15am - 12:00pm
18 months - 3 years
Wiggles and Giggles is a new program at the library for children 18 months - 3 years. Younger siblings are welcome. Best for wiggly bodies- we will sing, dance, play instruments, and use the parachute. The program is followed by playtime allowing children and adults to interact with each other and the toys provided by the library.
This program is free with no advance sign-up required. Program begins promptly at 11:15am and concludes in 20 minutes. After that families stay in the room to talk and play until 12pm.
Reading with Miss Marliyn's Spaniels
Thursdays, 4pm - 6pm
Ms. Marilyn Thayer and her credentialed family therapy pets, Tivy, Vi and Brazen invite children to practice and improve their reading skills. Ms. Marilyn's dogs love having children read to them and are very loving and accepting of all individuals. Children will be able to read in a relaxed and non-judgmental atmosphere. Each 20-minute session will include a meet and greet and then reading time. Please feel free to bring your favorite books to read or to borrow some from the library.
Registration if required for this free program. Call or come into the library to sign up for one or more sessions. You can sign up for multiple sessions, but please do so for only 2 or 3 weeks at a time so we can accommodate as many participants as possible.
Please Check the Calendar for Upcoming Dates
Kindergarten - 4th Grade
Discovery Workshops are monthly parent-child programs (from January thru May) held at the Middleboro Public Library. Each month we will explore a new topic. Hands-on activities, books and open discussion will be part of each Discovery Workshop.
This program is free; however, preregistration is required.
Sponsored by Self Help Inc. Coordinated Family & Community Engagement. 508-559-1666 ext. 123.