Summer Reading is Here!
Every Hero Has a Story
Coming Soon! Sign up for Summer Reading and all of the events, activities, and prizes that are part of the summer reading fun this year!
Click on the Links below - more details to come!
Registration begins Monday, June 29.
Summer Reading Registration
Monday, June 29-Thursday August 13
(for pre-readers up to Grade 6)
- How does it work?
- Starting June 29 you can register online from our website or come into the Library and use our computers.
- How do I register and log time?
- Simply click on the Children's summer reading logo (to the left) to create an account and log your reading time.
- Don't forget to read one hour before registering.
- The more you read, the more prizes you can win.
Weekly Summer Reading Programs
Join us on Tuesday nights for Twilight Tuesdays at 6:30 pm (fun for the entire family), and Wednesday mornings for Storytime & Playgroup at 10:30 am. Don't forget Mother Goose Lapsit & Playgroup at 10:15 am on Thursday mornings and Wiggles & Giggles at 11:15 am for our youngest patrons.
We also offer a variety of special summer programs including magic shows and music; Reading with Miss Marilyn and Her Spaniels and special Storytimes with Carol Carver. For more information see below or check out our full Calendar of Activities for July and August
Thank you to the Friends of the Middleborough Public Library for their continued support, and to our local sponsors: Eastern Bank and Mutual Bank.
Family Movie Night
Wednesdays @ 6 pm
Library Meeting Room
The Children's Summer Reading Program Every Hero Has a Story, the Teen Reading Program Unmask! and the Adult Summer Reading Program, Escape the Ordinary will host a Family Movie Night open to all. Bring your own picnic dinner and/or snacks and drinks and enjoy the evening.
- July 1 - Guardians of the Galaxy, (Teen/YA Night) PG13
- July 8 - Big Hero Six, PG
- July 15 - Super Buddies, G
- July 22 - Planes: Fire & Rescue, PG
- July 29 - The Incredibles, PG
Reading with Miss Marilyn's Spaniels
Mondays @ 4:00 pm July 6, 13, 20, 27; August 3, 10, 17, 24
Ms. Marilyn Thayer and her credentialed family therapy pets Tivy, Vi and Brazen invite children to practice and improve their reading skills. Tivy, Vi and Brazen love having children read to them and are very loving and accepting of all individuals. Children will be able to read in a relaxed and non-judgmental atmosphere. Each 20 minute session will include a meet and greet and then reading time. Please feel free to bring your favorite books to read or borrow some from the library.
Call or come into the library to sign up for one or more sessions. You can sign up for multiple sessions, but please do so for only 2 weeks at a time so we can accommodate as many participants as possible. Signups begin June 15th.
Smorgasbord with Carol Carver (4-week storytime series)
Wednesdays @ 10:30-11:15 am:
Library Meeting Room; ages 3 to 5 August 12, 19, 26; September 2
Join Miss Carol for a 4 week storytime called Smorgasbord. This will be a mixed offering of literature each week, along with music, movement, related art projects and parachute play!
Call or come into library to sign up for this free program - Registration is limited to 12 parent/child groups and is for the entire 4 week series. Signup begins July 1st.
Super You! Hero Training Academy Magic Show with Mike Bent
Monday, June 29 @ 6:30 pm
Library Meeting Room - for all ages
This silly, super hero-themed, character building show teaches kids what it takes to be a REAL superhero; respect for others, responsibility, honesty and perseverance. Using hilarious comedy, amazing magic, crazy puppets, music, sound effects and riveting storytelling, the show will help kids discover their inner "super powers" and become certified Agents of R.E.A.D.
As with all Mike's shows, Super You! revolves around books kids love, including The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and The Creators of Superman by Marc Tyler Nobleman. You will be amazed to watch one of your young readers become "Magnet Boy:" the boy with an "attractive" personality, while another summons her inner hero to become "The Strongest Girl in the World."
Seating is limited for this free program. Tickets will be available beginning Saturday, June 27
Sponsored by Mutual Bank
Tuesday, July 7 @ 6:30 pm
Library Meeting Room - for all ages
Learn all about the precious honeybee from the beekeeper! A one hour presentation on bees and beekeeping complete with a photo slide show and an opportunity to see and try the tools of the trade and taste the prized honey.
No registration is required for this free program. Sponsored by Mutual Bank
Who is YOUR Hero? Storytime with Carol Carver
Tuesday July 15 @ 10:30 am
Library Meeting Room - ages 3-5
Come and create your own hero art, for real or pretend heros. Includes some finger plays, games, stories, music and movement.
Registration is required for this free program: Limited to 12 parent/child pairs.
Call or come to the library to sign up for the entire 4 week series
Fire Station Storytime
Monday, July 20 @ 10:30 pm
Middleboro Fire Station - for Ages 3-6
Limited Availability: Registration is required for this free program
Hero Variety Show with Toe Jam Puppet Band
Tuesday, July 21 @ 6:30 pm
Town Hall - for all ages
What's up in the sky? ...it's a ukulele ...it's a bubble ...it's 2 very silly guys. It's the Toe Jam Puppet Band's "Hero Variety Show!" Fan favorites plus a bunch of new stuff including a "Super Hero Puppet Show!" Who will save the day ... it might be YOU!
No registration required for this free program. Sponsored by Mutual Bank
Special Storytime with a visit from Buzz Lightyear
Wednesday, August 5 @ 10:30 am
Library Meeting Room - for all ages
Children are invited to participate in an engaging storytime and related activities with their favorite literary character. All participants will have an opportunity to meet Buzz, have their photo taken (don't forget to bring your camera) and receive a goody bag with materials about the UFUND program.
No registration required for this free program.
Sponsored by the UFUND Start U Reading Program
Ronald McDonald's "The Hero in You!" Reading Show
Tuesday, August 11 @ 10:30 pm
Town Hall - for all ages
Ronald McDonald will tour libraries throughout New England encouraging summer readers to read every day. This special, interactive performance led by Ronald McDonald, offers kids and families the opportunity to take part in a fun-filled literacy event.
Throughout the show, summer readers will embark on a fun journey discovering the HERO inside each of them and how they can be heroes to each other. Ronald will demonstrate how reading is an important part of the journey. The 30 minute performance will be filled with magic, music, audience participation and Ronald fun.
No registration required for this free program
There are many prize opportunities as you keep up your reading this summer. Think how impressed your teacher will be when s/he sees all the reading you have accomplished. Prizes can be picked up at the Children's Room desk.
- 4 hours of reading:
- Food Coupon
- 8 hours of reading:
- Free book from the Children's Prize Cart.
- 12 hours of reading:
- Certificate for one free PawSox ticket for the August 19 game at which Middleboro attendees will be honored (additional tickets can be purchased).
- 16 hours of reading:
- Personalized bookplate in a newly purchased book of your choice which will be added to the Library Collection.
- Raffle Tickets
- For each 8 hours of reading after 16 hours
- For completing each of the 2 incentive sheets
- For completing each of the 2 puppet scavenger hunts
- For participating in the MKG and HBB Battle of the Books
- Earn 1 raffle ticket (write name on back and put in container)
- Raffle ticket is good for a chance at the Grand Prize Pack - see Children's Room for details.
Thank you to the Friends of the Middleboro Public Library for their continued support and to our local sponsors: McDonalds, Friendly's, Chipotle, the Rotary Club of Middleboro and the PawSox.
Come into the Library or check out our puzzle page, fill out the puzzle sheets or color the coloring page and turn them in each week for a chance to win an assortment of prizes. Take a look in the display case for what you can win. Winners will be randomly picked on Monday afternoons.
- Week 1: Superheroes
- Week 2: Environmental Heroes
- Week 3: Animal Heroes
- Week 4: Everyday Heroes
- Week 5: Mythological Heroes
- Week 6: Historical Heroes/Heroines
Thank you to the Friends of the Middleboro Public Library for their continued support and to our local sponsor, the USS Constitution
Boston Bruins Prize Drawing
When you read, you score! When you register for the Summer Reading program, say "Yes" to participating in the Bruins Program and you could be eligible to win some fantastic Bruins prizes. Read more ...
Other Summer Reading Incentives
If you are unable to print this information at home come to the library, log into our computers and print what you need.
- Barnes and Noble
- May 19 to September 7
- Read any 8 books and record them in the Reading Journal. Download and bring the completed journal to your local B & N (and choose a book from a selected list). You can also download and print out a free kit that includes a Teacher's Guide, Student Activity Sheets, Reading Journal, and more. This program, Imagination's Destination, is open to Grades 1 - 6.
- Pizza Hut Book It
- June 22 to August 15
- Kids who participate in Pizza Hut's Book It! Spark Your Greatness Summer Reading Challenge will be able to enjoy fun activities, play games, and have the chance to win prizes. Beginning June 22 we encourage all kids to help us reach our goal of collectively reading 1 million minutes by August 15! Kids who read 5 books by August 15 have a chance to win awesome BOOK IT! prizes.
- Scholastic Online Summer Reading Challenge
- May 4 to September 4
- The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge® is a free online reading program for children. Join today and help set a new world reading record for Summer 2015! Grand Prize: the schools with the most minutes read will win a visit from children's authors Michael Northrop (top elementary school), and Varian Johnson (top middle school).
- Showcase Cinemas
- July 8 to July 29
- Visit Showcase Cinema's Bookworm Wednesdays and click on Download the Book Report to open a PDF file of the book report form. Print out the book report and fill out the title of the book you read, the author, a description of the book, and your child's name.
- Bring the completed book report into a participating Showcase Cinema movie theater each Wednesday from July 8 to July 29, 2015 for the 10:00 am movie to get free admission.
- July 8 - Rio
- July 15 - Penguins of Madagascar
- July 22 - Dragons
- July 29 - Annie
- Showcase Cinemas are located in Foxboro (Patriot Place), North Attleboro and Seekonk
- Sylvan Learning's Book Adventure
- Sylvan Learning's Book Adventure program is more than just a Summer Reading Program because it goes on all year long. It's a great way to motivate kids to read by earning prizes. Kids in grades K-8 can search for books, read them offline, come back to test themselves on what they've read, and earn prizes for their reading success.
- Visit Book Adventure and register your child to get them started. You can register as a student, teacher, or parent/caregiver. Once registered your child can start taking quizzes. Click Quizzes at the top of the page and then enter the title, author's last name, or book ISBN to see if there's a quiz for the book your child has read.
- Take available quizzes to earn points. Each quiz has 5 questions for kids in grades K - 2 and 10 questions for kids in grades 3 and up. The quizzes can be retaken once if needed. After they've gotten all the questions right on the quiz they'll be awarded points. These points can be traded in for prizes in the prize library. Tip: Your child will need to be logged into her or his account in order to take quizzes and earn points.
- Book Adventure is a fun, free way to motivate your child to read! Kids in grades K-8 can search for books, read them offline, come back to quiz on what they've read, and earn prizes for their reading success. Start your reading adventure now!
- TD Bank
- Read ten books over the summer and TD Bank will deposit $10 into your new or existing Young Saver Account. One $10 offer per reader. Download and complete the form and bring along with your savings chart to your local TD Bank by August 31, 2015.
"Every Hero Has a Story" is sponsored by your local library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
CSLP art/graphics are copyrighted by Upstart for exclusive use by CSLP members and are used by permission. Copying or reproducing these CSLP art/graphics in any way by non-CSLP members is prohibited.