Middleborough High School Summer Reading Enrichment — 2015
English Language Arts Enrichment Assignment
MHS Summer Reading Titles and Assignment (Printer-friendly PDF)
MHS students entering grades 9-12 will choose from a list of books in each grade level.
The books were selected to focus on overarching concepts which students will explore in their English courses. Each student will choose one book from the list and will write an
essay based on the prompt that accompanies his or her grade level text. All essays will
be due 9/8/15 and they will be electronically submitted via Google Drive. All students will receive instructions from their English teacher on the first day of school. For those who do not have English until second semester, they will still upload the essay to their teacher’s Google folder. The essay will count as 5% of term one grade.
Copies of the book list, and essay prompts will be available at the Middleboro High School Office, the Middleboro Public Library, and on the MPS website. Students will also find a description of the books, a sample student essay, and a guide for writing the essay on
the MPS website.
Please contact Mrs. MacLeod, English Department Chair, with questions, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Reading Titles
Check the availability of a title at the Library
1. Click on the title of the book to see if there is a copy available at the Library.
2. If all copies are checked out, place a hold on the next available copy using your library card number and PIN number (last 4 digits of your phone number).
3. You will be notified when your copy is available for pickup at the Library Main Desk.
Please make sure that the Library has your current phone number and/or email address.
Grade 9: Identity
- Angelou, Maya. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (biography)
- Coelho, Paulo. The Alchemist (fiction)
- Gibbons, Kaye. Ellen Foster (fiction)
- Kidd, Sue Monk. The Secret Life of Bees (fiction)
- Picoult, Jodi. My Sister’s Keeper (fiction)
- Rosnay, Tatiana de. Sarah’s Key (historical fiction)
- Spiegelman, Art. Maus I: A Survivor’s Tale (historical graphic novel)
- Wolff, Tobias. This Boy’s Life: A Memoir (biography)
Grade 10: Social Responsibility/Place in Society
- Long, Mark. The Silence of Our Friends (historical graphic novel)
- McBride, James. The Color of Water (biography)
- Stockett, Kathryn. The Help (historical fiction)
- Zusak, Markus. The Book Thief (historical fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Yousafzai, Malala. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up For Education
and Was Shot by the Taliban (biography) Available on Library Nook.
Grade 11: American Dream
- Guterson, David. Snow Falling on Cedars (fiction)
- King, Stephen. 11/22/63 (historical fiction)
- Kingsolver, Barbara. The Bean Trees (fiction)
- Krakauer, Jon. Into the Wild (biography) Available on Library Nook.
- Oates, Joyce Carol. We Were the Mulvaneys (fiction)
- Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (graphic memoir)
- Walls, Jeannette. The Glass Castle: A Memoir (biography) Available on Library Nook.
Grade 12: Morality
- Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (science fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Clark, Walter Van Tilburg. The Ox-Bow Incident (fiction)
- Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World (science fiction)
- McCormick, Patricia. Sold (fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Moore, Alan. V for Vendetta (graphic novel)
- Orwell, George. 1984 (science fiction) Available on Library Nook.
- Waldman, Amy. The Submission (fiction)